Thursday, April 8, 2010

What motivates you to share the Gospel?

If you say that you're a Christian yet you never or rarely share the Gospel, can you really say that you're an authentic, follower of Christ? Before the hackles raise on the back of your neck, hear me out. I used to get offended when someone would suggest that I wasn't being obedient at best and not a Christian at worst if I rarely or NEVER shared the Gospel. As far as I was concerned, it wasn't my job because I didn't have the spiritual gift of evangelism. I'd taken a written test administered by my church to discern my spiritual gift and it said I didn't have that one! Whew!

Besides, that is where my offering money went every Sunday- to support missionaries. I was going to let them do their job. Later, I attended a church where the preacher said point blank, "You bring them here and we'll do the rest." In other words, it wasn't my job to share the Gospel because I might mess it up and it was best left to the professionals (a.k.a. the pastor.)

Have I stepped on any toes yet? Let me take it a step further. I believe with every fiber of my being that if you are not regularly sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ with others you do not fully understand the Gospel. Matthew 28:16-20 is the passage known as the "Great Commission" where Jesus sends his disciples forth to spread the news of the Gospel. This is also directed at any believer in Christ. This is our mission.

There are only two conclusions to draw if you do not regularly share the Gospel with others. Either you understand the great price that was paid for you that you were unable to pay because you had violated the standard set out to guarantee your admittance to heaven and eternal fellowship and worship with God which compels you to share this news or you don't understand it. Period.

It is unconscionable to state that you are a believer and you are fully aware that anyone who dies apart from repentance and faith in Christ will spend eternity in hell and not be moved by genuine care and concern for others and yet still refrain from sharing the Gospel.

The assertion that people, "can see by my life" is a very weak position as well. There are MANY happy pagans in the world- people who are happy with their life the way it is and thus see no need for a Savior. We are commanded to be ready to give an answer for what we believe and why we believe it. I have never had anyone come up to me and say, "I want what you have."

This clip is very provocative as it gets to the heart of what motivates this young man to share the Gospel. Watch and examine your heart and ask, "What is my motive for sharing the Gospel?" and if you don't share the Gospel by opening your mouth to tell others, why aren't you?

2 comments:

Chris Jones said...

Beautiful article.... thank you for writing it and posting that video. I hadn't seen it before.

-chris

Kris said...

I was not expecting that ending. I really do not think the kid was really saved (him saying that he has been a Christian all his life is kind of a red flag, but I do not have magic glasses, it's just a cause for concern). But the ending was great! I posted this on Facebook so that my friends and family who make too many excuses not to share the gospel would see this and maybe feel a bit convicted. I sure hope they do! The lost souls out there are just way to important!