Sunday, May 3, 2009

Fishing at the Kentucky Derby (pt.1)

The 135th running of the Kentucky Derby was my first ever. If you've lived here any length of time, you soon learn that unless you have box seats you don't want to go to the Derby. The crowd in the infield is wild and raucous, it's a madhouse, parking is crazy and it just turns into an excuse to get drunk and behave badly. There were an estimated 150,000 people attending today. My husband couldn't join us because he was to be a pallbearer at a dear friends' father's funeral 3 hours from where we live. Once we arrived, it took us an hour to get through the traffic as I scouted the closest and cheapest place to park. After sizing up where I was and the best way to leave, I chose a guy that offered to allow me to park in his backyard for a mere $20. I thought $10 seemed more fair so I asked, and he agreed. We drove down an ally and parked in his backyard. I called TJ and told him I found a place for him to park and had gotten the guy to cut his price in half. Here's my team as we get ready to walk the 2 blocks to our rendezvous point on 4th and Central Ave.

Soon enough, TJ arrived with his father-in-law, Donald, and two young ladies, Jessica and Rachel. Kelli (TJ's wife) wisely stayed home with their very young children. We later discovered this was definitely no place for the very young.

As we walked out of the ally, we witnessed to everyone we could find who was out on the street. The mood was festive. In the picture below, Donald is carrying the box of tracts, TJ is talking with Mike (the guy whose backyard we parked in), and Rachel and Jessica are beside them.

While TJ witnessed to someone else, Donald began by handing this gentleman a "Derby Trivia" tract.

My eldest son handed tracts to these little girls. Absolutely EVERYONE took a tract, wanted a tract, and asked for more tracts! **I highly recommend the Teen Celebrity Millions from Living Waters. The teen crowd loves them.**

Unfortunately, I'm so old I have no clue who these people are on the tracts. The only one I could guess was Miley Cyrus. At least I had Jessica and Rachel who quickly rattled off each one of these teen celebrities. I told the girls to stay close to me, I definitely saw I could use their help.

Have you ever seen a finer team of evangelists?! They ranged in age from 8 1/2 to 17. Rachel designed this hat and put million dollar bills all over it. I really liked it because you really are supposed to wear a hat to Derby and this was spectacular. What a conversation starter!

We prayed that the rain would hold off because earlier that morning it was pouring and rain was forecast all day. So, with approximately 5000 tracts between us we headed with high spirits under cloudy skies.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Awesome! I wished I was closer... that would have been fun to do!