Saturday, February 14, 2009

How deeply do you love, really?

Today is Valentine's day and is the day that we express our love to our friends and family. How deeply do you love? I mean really love. You know, it is so easy for us to have love for our friends and family and those we know, but if you claim to be a Christian and have no love or concern for the unsaved, you need to examine yourself. Charles Spurgeon said it best when he said,

"Have you no wish for others to be saved? Then you are not saved yourself. Be sure of that. The saving of souls, if a man has once gained love to perishing sinners and his blessed Master, will be an all-absorbing passion to him. It will so carry him away, that he will almost forget himself in the saving of others. He will be like the brave fireman, who cares not for the scorch or the heat, so that he may rescue the poor creature on whom true humanity has set its heart. If sinners will be damned, at least let them leap to hell over our bodies. And if they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees, imploring them to stay. If hell must be filled, at least let it be filled in the teeth of our exertions, and let not one go there unwarned and unprayed for."

The first few years I was "saved," I never even had a desire for the lost because I didn't know I was supposed to- a sure sign of false conversion- because I was only a child at the time. When I went to college, my horizons were expanded and I saw a dying world that needed Christ. I then prayed for the unsaved. I was being discipled by an older woman and learned many principles of sanctification from her. But I didn't think it was my responsibility to actually tell anyone about Christ. I had actually been told by my church that I was to invite people to church and the pastor would take it from there. I also had taken a spiritual gift inventory at my church and since I didn't have any desire to be one of those people who "offended" people with the Gospel, I manipulated the answers so that I would NOT have the "gift of evangelism." I thought, "That's what missionaries and pastors do so I'll just send my check and support them." My heart was sincere because I really did care about people and I wanted them to go to heaven, but I was sincerely wrong.

There were two reasons that I didn't want to share the Gospel: pride and ignorance. I wanted to be everybody's friend and was so afraid that I might offend. Afterall, that is what I had been told would happen. It only proved that I was more concerned with the praises of man. The other reason I did not share my faith was because I didn't know how. There is a fabulous course through the School of Biblical Evangelism offered by Living Waters Ministry. Goto http://www.livingwaters.com/ and find more information about this. If you desire to be equipped to share the Gospel, this is an excellent place to start.

If you claim that you are a Christian and either do not regularly share your faith or have no desire to, please examine yourself in light of scripture. A true believer will desire to share the Gospel with others any chance they get. That's not to say that you won't be fearful. I get nervous every time I open my mouth, but I do it out of obedience and I push myself beyond my comfort zone and rely on the Holy Spirit to help me. I can't share my faith on my own. I need the help of the Holy Spirit every moment.

I encourage you on this Valentine's Day, to reflect on how deeply you truly love the lost. Please watch this video and consider if you were the one in this pastor's dream, the horror you would experience at realizing that you were the one listening to the people you saw day in and day out in your life as they were being led away knowing you had said nothing to them while they were alive...

No comments: