Friday, February 20, 2009

Ever wonder what waiters do with those million dollar bills?

We visited a restaurant that we don't get to visit very often about a month ago. It is one of our favorite places to go because the lights and music are low and you are actually able to have a conversation and the service is great. We had a waiter this evening whom we had never seen before. His name was Wayne. He had an engaging personality due to his quick wit and just a touch of appropriate sarcasm. He was very enjoyable.

He came by several times and talked. We were able to find that he was from the west and had been here awhile but took this job after the economy worsened because he was making more money waiting tables than when he sold cars.

Too soon, our meal came to an end. We weren't able to speak with him about the Gospel because he had other tables to wait so, I left a generous tip and a million dollar bill. He gave great service but I also wished that I had time to find out his beliefs. So, I left a tract and wrote across the front, "Thanks a million, Wayne!" and then signed my name. Cheesy, I know, but it was all I could think of to write.

Last week, we visited the restaurant again. It had been three weeks since we had been. Halfway through our meal he saw us (we didn't know he was there) and came right up and said, "Hey, I still have that million dollars you gave me! I loved it! When I ask the customer if there is anything else I can get for them that evening, I always have one that replies, 'do you have a million dollars?' and I whip this out and show them." He was still laughing. I didn't even have a chance to ask, "So did you get a chance to read it? What do you think?" because he was off and running.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to share the Gospel with him again because he was on the other side of the restaurant. We plan on returning and are already praying that God will block out some time when we can share the Gospel with him- uninterrupted.

I would covet your prayers for an opportunity to speak to this man. He obviously wasn't offended by the tract as he came and sought us out. So, it answered a question in my mind, "What do waiters and waitresses do with those million dollar bills?" Knowing this, I hope you will be encouraged the next time you dine out to not be intimidated by what the waiter or waitress may think about you. Go ahead and hand them a tract. I'll keep you posted on any new developments with Wayne.



No comments: