Monday, January 12, 2009

I love U.S. Bank!

How obedient are you to share the Gospel when you are in the midst of a trial or difficulty?

My husband had a very difficult problem dumped in his lap a few Saturdays ago. He was discussing the details of a difficult conversation he had with a family member. As we were discussing the particulars of the situation, the phone rang. When, I looked at the caller I.D., I said, "Look! It's a phone solicitor- let me take it." Wouldn't you know, it was my favorite bank: U.S. Bank.

They have called two previous times. You can read those encounters here: http://chipperfisher.blogspot.com/2008/10/i-love-phone-solicitors.html and http://chipperfisher.blogspot.com/2008/10/another-phone-fish.html.

So, the caller on the other end gave me the familiar scripted appeal to try to entice me into more debt and I politely listened. After they are done, I say something to the effect of, "I don't believe I will be opening an account today, but since I politely listened to you, may I ask you a question?" Always be courteous. Remember, you are an ambassador of Christ and they probably have the phone slammed down in their ear more times than they would like to admit.

So, she said, "Sure." I asked her name again. It was Christina. I said, "Christina, this may sound like a weird question, but have you ever given much thought to what happens when you die?" She said, "Uh, no." I said, "You mean you've never thought about it?" She said, "Well, not really. I don't like to think about it. I'm kind of young. I'm only 20." I said, "You know, when I was younger I didn't think much about death either. That was always something that happened to other people, but not me. (she laughed)." I said, "Christina, if someone offered you $1million for your eyes, they could take them out painlessly and replace them with glass eyes so that no one could tell the difference, would you do it?" She said, "yes."

I was shocked because I've never had anyone say yes before! So, I asked her the question again with emphasis, "You mean that you would allow a doctor to take both eyes in exchange for a million dollars?" She said, "Uh, no, I don't guess so, but it's a lot of money." I said, "Of course not! Your eyes are precious to you! So, Christina, how much more precious is your soul? You know one day when you die you will have to face God on judgement day..."

She said, "Uh, I'm going to have to cut this call short. But, if you are interested in applying for a loan call 1-800-..."

My mind was racing! This girl had the typical, "I'm young and never going to die," mentality. I never got to sin, judgement, or the good news. So, I just blurted out, "Turn and trust Jesus. He will save you," and then she hung up.

The first thought I had was, "Doh!" But, then I realized I did the best with what I had under the circumstances. I also believe that if this bank is going to continue to provide me these fine witnessing opportunities, the least I can do is make sure that the Gospel is going out. So, I think my strategy for next time will be to tell them that I have a question for them before I give them my answer.

In hindsight, I believe that it was a deliberate opportunity sent from God to strengthen and to test my obedience. Without sharing details, suffice it to say, that our family has been under spiritual attack over the last few months the more deliberately we walk in obedience. After my husband had just shared the details of the latest difficulty that entered our life, the LAST thing I wanted to do was share the Gospel.

But, God doesn't allow everything to run smoothly all the time in your life before you're required to obey. I may not have blurted out the most theologically sound answer to this young lady, but considering the circumstances and the fact she was hanging up, I did the best I could. Her salvation is not my concern. It's truly in God's hands.

No comments: