Saturday, October 25, 2008

I love phone solicitors!

"Good afternoon. I'm Jeff Carlisle calling on behalf of U.S. Bank and I want to offer you a low interest Visa with a balance transfer option."

And so began a wonderful conversation about the Gospel with a complete stranger. I listened and answered his questions. Then I asked him, "Jeff, I have listened patiently to all you have to say and am going to have to decline your offer. However, may I ask you a few questions since I answered yours?"

"Certainly." he said.

I asked him, "What do you think happens when you die? Do you think you go to heaven or hell?"

He said, "I don't really know. I would hope heaven." I took him through law and grace but as I was, my heart started pounding and I started sweating. I was so nervous! I never have this happen when I speak face to face with others. I was afriad he would hang up before I could get to what Christ did for us.

He was very polite and wasn't agitated but I guarantee, he was NOT expecting a call like this! LOL!

As I concluded, I told him now that he understands what sin is, confess it to God and place his faith in the Lord Jesus. I then told him to repent from his sins. I always explain the difference between worldly sorrow and Godly sorrow. Then I encouraged him to read the Bible and do what it says. When I asked if he had a Bible he said he did not!

I encouraged him to buy one and start with something called the New Testament in a book called John. I told him they are everywhere and has been the all time best seller. He said he would do that and would definitely give our conversation some thought. He did not sound moved only awakened.

He was the first American I have ever spoken to that did not own a Bible, had not heard of Jesus, nor had any clue what happens after death. Most people I talk to have a basic knowledge of what they are supposed to do but just don't do it.

What a privilege that God allowed this guy to call! I pray for God to bring the harvest from the seed planted in the soil of a properly tilled heart.

Never let an opportunity to share the Gospel be eclipsed by your schedule. If you're eating dinner and they call, so what? That's why we have microwaves. Most appointments that we run out the door for truly would be OK if we were a few minutes late. I understand that picking children up for school and having to arrive by a certain time is sometimes necessary. But, if we are truly honest, we will acknowledge that our lives are not THAT busy that we don't have 5 minutes to plant a seed.

2 comments:

anythingold said...

My dear godly mother witnesses to phone solicitors, too.

Dear friend, there is something that you might want to study: nowhere in the Bible are unbelievers told to confess their SINS; none of us could name every sin that we have committed. What they must do is confess that they are SINNERS by nature and practice.

A careful study of I John 1 will reveal that confession of SINS is for Christians, because we do not lose the sin nature when we receive Christ as Savior.

The law was for the Jews and in this age of grace, only serves to show us that we are sinners. The Lord Jesus came to fulfull the law. "For by GRACE are ye saved, through faith, and that not of yourselves..." If the law could save us, then our Blessed Lord Jesus died in vain.

Chipper said...

You are so kind to encourage the examination of scripture. I believe we should always be like Bereans and take what someone says to the scripture to see how it lines up.

When I look at the scriptures I see evidence of both believers and non-believers confessing their sins. The first 3 appear to be addressed to non-believers as they are about to become believers.

Proverbs 28:13-14
13 He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy.
14 Blessed is the man who always fears the LORD, but he who hardens his heart falls into trouble.

Matthew 3:5-6
5People went out to him from Jerusalem and all Judea and the whole region of the Jordan. 6Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.

Mark 1:4-6
4And so John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 5The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River. 6John wore clothing made of camel's hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey.

Here are two written to believers.

1 John 1:8-10
8If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.

James 5:15-16
15And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. 16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

We are called to repent. Do we just say, "I repent"? On some level there has to be a recongition that we have committed sin. Confession brings about repentance for by just merely stating, "I repent," begs the question, "You repent of what?" We need to understand that our personal sin is an offense to God. We could never name all of our sins. The scriptures never say to name them ALL because we can't and neither did I in my post.

Forgive me if the post suggested that I advocate confessing all sin for that is impossible.